INSPIRING A LOVE OF LEARNING FOR THE FUTURE
Each chapter in life is a new frontier. Our centre is designed to create a sense of wonder in our youngest learners and to meet the developmental needs of all our children.
At Columbus we get such joy from providing environments that allow your little explorer to make new discoveries at every turn, optimising their learning opportunities whilst they play. We encourage investigation, problem solving, independence, confidence and most importantly, help to build resilience in our little people as the wiring for these lifelong learning and interpersonal skills are laid.
Our early childhood educators offer exceptional care in a warm and nurturing environment. Our tailored learning programs are designed to assist each individual child to reach their potential and expand their learning ability. We see building strong child-staff-family relationships to better understand your child’s needs as an important part of preparing your child to step out into the world with the confidence and skills they need to make the most promising start in life.
At Columbus ELC we appreciate the concern and importance of leaving your child in someone else’s trust and care. We believe that every child has the right to feel safe, secure and supported. Our highly qualified educators, in addition to our new, secure and purpose built premises will feel like a home away from home for your child, while providing parents with invaluable peace of mind that their child is being looked after by us as if they were our own. We provide:
- Safe play and learning environments
- Personal focus on your child’s individual needs
- Quality educators and resources
- Delicious home cooked nutritionally designed meals
- Convenient long day care hours – 7.30am to 6pm
- Nappies, wipes and linen
- Collaborative partnerships between families and educators
- In house community events including parental guidance and support
- New and purpose built building, designed to inspire learning and imagination
- Warm and safe play and learning environments with multiple indoor and outdoor spaces providing children with opportunities to investigate, lots of variety, entertainment and sufficient stimulation to facilitate growth and development
- Unobtrusive surveillance and security for the safety of your child, staff, and for your peace of mind
- We work closely with each child and in collaboration with families to understand expectations and needs
- Individual programs that cater to suit each child’s needs, learning style and aptitude so that they may flourish
- Quality programs based on experience and latest research in line with the Early Learning Years Framework and National Quality Standards
- Warm, friendly, passionate and professional educators and staff that attribute to more qualitative care and education
- Staff receive regular training to achieve higher levels of service
- We Commit to providing a balanced nutritional menu that is wholesome, age and nutritionally appropriate for all children
- We cater to children with allergies, intolerance’s, cultural requirements etc to ensure each child dietary requirement’s is met properly
- Our highly experienced cook prepares meals on site with fresh produce in high quality, industry approved restaurant grade kitchen
- Open long convenient hours, Monday – Friday 7.30am – 6.00pm
- Caters for children 6 weeks to 6 years
- We are located opposite Ryde Hospital at 58 Denistone Rd, Denistone 2114
- Encourage parental involvement in developing and maintaining programs
- Run regular parental support seminars in which parents can exchange ideas on parenting and get answers!
THE WELLBEING, HEALTH AND DEVELOPMENT OF YOUR CHILD COMES FIRST.
Language is… “the quintessence of our humanity.” – George Steiner, 1964
Guided by the nationally approved Early Years Learning Framework (EYLF) our qualified, experienced and educated staff develop programs for each child based on their individual needs and interests. These programs are designed to enhance and continually progress each critical developmental area and support each child’s growth holistically. We adopt a play based educational style with a strong emphasis on literacy development and school readiness, preparing each child with the skills and aptitude needed to thrive in an ever changing world.
Also, Columbus takes fun very seriously.
Learning and development is a rapid and exciting process for babies and very young children. Every moment counts. We provide the love and interactions that every baby needs to establish a strong sense of safety, recognition and curiosity – the springboard to healthy communication and learning.
In these formative years your toddler is developing their sense of identity and personal power.
Our activities encourage and bring out their independence, invoke new skills and strengths, through meaningful experiences and interest-led play.
Your increasingly independent little person is becoming more competent as they begin to navigate and integrate into the world around them. Here children will learn to build confidence, emotional resilience and develop healthy social relationships.
The preschool year is fundamental in readying your child for the transition to the more formal learning environment of ‘big school’. Children ‘play’ their way through the customised rich learning programs designed specifically to best prepare them for their formal education journey ahead.
Children’s learning is ongoing and each child will progress towards the outcomes in different and equally meaningful ways.
For some parents it can be difficult to know what your child should be learning and whether or not they are reaching developmental milestones.
At Columbus we recognise that parents have different ideas and expectations of their child’s learning outcomes. We also see that each child is unique and has an individual way of learning and applying themselves. Our practices are based on the latest evidence-based research and our dedicated team of educators specialise in understanding and identifying the age appropriate developmental milestones that children should be reaching at each stage of the first five years of their education and care.
Also, Columbus takes fun very seriously.
Our educators will promote children’s learning and development in the following ways:
CHILDREN HAVE A STRONG SENSE OF IDENTITY
- Acknowledge and respond sensitively to children’s cues and signals, and attempts to initiate interactions and conversations
- Support children’s secure attachment through consistent and warn nurturing relationships
- Mediate and assist children to negotiate their rights in relation to the rights of others
- Develop authentic children’s understanding of themselves
CHILDREN ARE CONNECTED WITH AND CONTRIBUTE TO THEIR WORLD
- Model language that children can use to express ideas, negotiate roles and collaborate to achieve goals
- Plan experiences and provide resources that broaden children’s perspectives and encourage appreciation of diversity
- Encourage children to listen to others and to respect diverse perspectives
- Notice and listen carefully to children’s concerns and discuss diverse perspectives on issues of inclusion and exclusion and fair and unfair behaviour
CHILDREN HAVE A STRONG SENSE OF WELLBEING
- Plan for and participate in energetic physical activity with children, including dance, drama, movement and games
- Provide a wide range of tools and materials to resource children’s fine and gross motor skills.
- Model and reinforce health, nutrition and personal hygiene practices with children
CHILDREN ARE CONFIDENT AND INVOLVED LEARNERS
- Provide learning environments that are flexible and open-ended
- Listen carefully to children’s ideas and discuss with them how these ideas might be developed
- Provide experiences that encourage children to investigate and solve problems
- Draw children’s attention to patterns and relationships in the environment and in their learning
- Provide opportunities and support for children to engage in meaningful learning relationships
CHILDREN ARE EFFECTIVE COMMUNICATORS
- Engage in enjoyable interactions with babies as they make and play with sounds
- Model language and encourage children to express themselves through language in a range of contexts and for a range of purposes
- Provide literacy-enriched environment including display print in home languages and Standard Australian English
- Talk explicitly about concepts such as rhyme and letters and sounds when sharing texts with children